Today is the sixteenth day of NaNoWriMo, which means we’re halfway through the chaotic month and (hopefully) seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I took one day off this week and was able to make it up by having a 3,000 word day the next day. I’ve been able to keep my two day cushion thanks to an undeclared word war with one of my NaNo Buddies. Nothing like some good old-fashioned competition to keep you on your toes.
I’m happy to report that on November 12th, “I just hit a major turning point in my story and slid right through a great night of writing! Awesome!” (taken from my Twitter feed). Since that day, I’ve really felt like I’m getting somewhere with my story. It’s still a lot of “let’s just get this done” but at least now I feel like I can work with it. After I get past the dread of having something else to do today, I get into my story, write some pretty good words, lines and paragraphs and there’s some potential there. I hope the rest of you Wrimos are getting some good words in too!
On another note, I’ve gotten two more copies of my first novel back from my friends and I’m getting more great reviews. So far, I’ve gotten two “best seller” comments and one that declared it would make a great TV show! If you’ve been keeping up with my blogs, you know I’ve been unsure about seeking a publisher but with these kinds of comments, I’m thinking I might just have to publish it after all. We’ll see!
And now, for a little fun, I want to share with you a few threads from the NaNo forum “Character and Plot Realism (Researching facts, figures, real world experiences and details.)” which make total sense on the NaNoWriMo forums but would most certainly land you in jail anywhere else:
- How to get a sensible girl kidnapped…
- Ritual sacrifice – procedures and protocol??
- How long does is take to burn down a courtyard?? And more…
- Advice needed on how to kill character in Mystery novel—advice on Posions in particular
- Picking locks?
- Justified kidnapping?
- tell me about your man bits
- Have you ever been one, or do you know any prostitutes?
- Detaining Suspicious Minors
- Traditional Torture Thread
- massage – describe the most amazing massage you have ever experienced….
- Setting a Restaurant on Fire
- Dynamite – where would you steal it from and how would you learn to use it?
Back to writing! Wrimos, keep your eyes on the prize. We’re almost there!